Economy Stability / Vanity Items

Anything FFXI Related
Tectal

Economy Stability / Vanity Items

Post by Tectal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 am

I have been giving some thought to what I perceive as a potential upcoming issue for this server. There is what appears to be an influx of characters lately, which is going to eventually lead us to the task of dealing with inflation. With no viable gil sink such as chocobo costs, things could get out of hand as we continue to add people. I was thinking we may be able to cut this off before it potentially becomes an issues and add gear to the game for vanity purposes only that is out of era. I do not know if it is possible to code the items in a way where they will give zero stat bonuses, how much time it would consume to code it, if this is something the community wants, or if this is even something that is needed. Just want to get ahead of any potential issues and make sure our community stays strong. Thoughts?

Crasy

Re: Economy Stability / Vanity Items

Post by Crasy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

From my point of view I'm personally taking a lot more gil out of the economy than putting into it, buying mats from npc's for crafting purposes. And as it is, i feel some inflation would be good considering many people don't have enough gil to buy high end gear even at material cost.

This might change though, just don't feel it's needed right now.
Clothcraft: 98+2
Goldsmithing: 97+2

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm

It'll be a long time until that becomes a situation I think. High value items are undervalued currently because there just isn't enough players that can reasonably farm those amounts of gil. I guess a month or two after sky is released and some old players come back we'll have a better idea how bad it is? Good foresight.

Caelic

Post by Caelic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 pm

Tectal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 am
if this is something the community wants
no.

inflation ≠ instability

Biggie

Post by Biggie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 pm

I actually do like this idea, or at least something that gives players a way to spend gil. And I think it being cosmetic would be a great idea, as there are many items that are "outside of era" whose files are already in the game not being used currently. Inflation ALWAYS becomes a problem on every private server I've played on, and it's definitely not far off with the way private servers work in general. When you have people that are able to farm/craft/do things without any real type of competition (due to the lower playerbase in comparison to actual retail servers), it makes inflation something inevitable.

This idea as it seems like it would require less work in comparison to other potential gil-sinking ideas, as I'm assuming the code or whatever for these gear pieces is already there but I wouldn't know as I'm not a programmer. However, it would mean out-of-era gear would be shown in game. Even if it was 100% cosmetic and added no stats, some people might not like that.

Dante

Post by Dante » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 pm

I still think throwing a tax on AH sales would be a smart idea

Gweivyth

Post by Gweivyth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:55 pm

I mean honestly inflation is really not a boogeyman we need to worry about, after a certain point we'll move away from NPC farming to AH/material farming instead is all.

Right now players generate money by farming items that vendor to NPCs for decent gil/hour. Once "inflation" hits, those players will be spending that money on crafting materials and equipment that can be farmed by lower level players, and the NPC farming becomes less appealing as it won't be as profitable as farming beehive chips and stuff.

It's a good thing, and is closer to era retail than the "farming" we are currently doing. Obviously you'll want to address it WAY down the line, but for the foreseeable future (2~ years) it really shouldn't be a concern.

I'd like cosmetic items though, I would spend a lot of gil on them.

Kim

Post by Kim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Having retail vendor NPC prices might also help.. the more you craft, the more you sell, the more money sunk back into the economy in crafted items and gil for crystal sellers... that's just my take.

Gweivyth

Post by Gweivyth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I think they've been slowly working on that, there was a thread for it with a spreadsheet of vendor prices.

Tagihi

Post by Tagihi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:22 pm

I think the times i have been spent crafting and playing this game i notice the economy is terrible and bad!

1. AH is full of items noone buy beaucse people on low gil or no gil at all..
2 server population make thats upp less people less stuff sold.
3 pricey low level items

so what we do is basic farming mob sell to npc! Stability economy where?