A short memo about Server LS etiquette

Anything FFXI Related
Scott

A short memo about Server LS etiquette

Post by Scott » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

The server LS is an awesome feature. But for each new character to Kupo one more pearl is created! And the more people in an LS the more easily it can get out of hand. The server LS is a great way to get parties and accrue knowledge; and people who have been on this server a long time are more likely to keep the server LS equipped if everyone follows these simple rules below. Let's keep this feature fun for everyone!

• No GoT spoilers… No GoT spoilers! NO GoT SPOILERS!!!!!

• This server is not retail. Also, while it’s based off DSP it’s not DSP. It’s its own server. Don’t spread false information because that’s the way it was in retail during this era or that’s the way it was in Nasomi or Shinra. It may very well be the same here or it may not… If you're not sure give a disclaimer with it. Know first, don’t assume.

• Questions that can be answered quickly are okay. Cluster conversations about the inner mechanics of camping Leaping Lizzy and what TP moves he uses and how many placeholders and that on retail you went 1/1 but here it's 1/108 and if he likes cheese with his wine are not. They annoy most everyone else that has the shell equipped. Ask your question in the LS and if your question becomes elongated move it to a /tell conversation. You may even make a long term friend this way! No answer? We have a Wiki for that.

• Pointing out the obvious to the oblivious here but keep your drama and hate speeches in a private LS or to /tells.

And please feel free to send a /tell in game to Godmode or Tyseng if you have any questions about this place or game mechanics in general. I don't have all the answers but I can definitely point you in the right direction if I don't!

Ragor

Re: A short memo about Server LS etiquette

Post by Ragor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Couldn't agree more.

When I first began on this server a few months ago, the server LS was fantastic. People were helpful, cheery, and highly respectful of one another. Since then it has turned into, at times, a political warzone, racial/sexual preference bashing discussions, a stage for pointless arguements between two people that the other 99% of the server see as spam, and generally, everything that the shell was not a few months ago.

I am all for meaningful conversations, jokes among new and existing friends, and legitimate questions, but the petty, epeen flexing, vulgar spam needs to stop. We can do better than that. We are better than that.

Here's to a better server LS going forward.

Icon

Post by Icon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:42 pm

GM's will remove pearls for abuse of the server LS

Greater punishment will be pursued if players continue to spam by other means

azdin

Post by azdin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 pm

it's probably not my place to say, but i wanted to give my impressions about the starter linkshell and these rules. (I'm new)

we were told in linkshell chat to communicate elsewhere (by icon). the subject matter in question was just casual and harmless conversation. being new to the game, i thought it was probably a good first step to try and make friends and get to know others on the server quickly. up until yesterday, i wasn't aware that communication was so restricted there. i personally enjoyed scrolling back and reading some of the humorous exchanges between others as well. i agree with Ragor that everyone there (at the time) were kind and friendly. it was like a public channel to me.

it's not immediately obvious to new people that the public linkshell was not intended for that. it may be a good idea to leave the linkshell in the inventory of new players while unequipped, and/or possibly renaming it in such a way that conveys it's intention better (KupoHelp or KupoNew, etc.,). considering that this game requires a degree of co-dependency, new people to the server will probably make the same mistake i did.

these are just my thoughts and impressions as a newcomer. i've already switched to a different linkshell and will use the public one for LFPs and game-related questions only.

(btw: i'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the public linkshell rules. they are fine the way they are.)