New to Crafting and have a couple questions

Anything FFXI Related
vektson

New to Crafting and have a couple questions

Post by vektson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am

I've checked out all the guides on the FFXI wiki and all give easy to understand crafts. When to craft it to and what to do next. My questions are...?

1. Should I always be using the mentor support for crafting?

2. How do the Days and Weather help with crafting skill ups? I also recall something back in the day facing N,E,S,W etc also affects skill up / success.

I chose to start with Clothcraft / Leatherworking.

Teku

Re: New to Crafting and have a couple questions

Post by Teku » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

1. No. You should only use support to get you within 4-5 levels of the skill cap on that particular item.

2. https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ff ... 1123130803

Crasy

Post by Crasy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Both of your questions are part of the same system so I'll try to give you my best understanding of it so far (capped clothcraft and multiple 60)

Skill points from other sources than your own skill;

Normal support = +1
Advanced (paid) support = +3
Lightsday, same day, day weak to crystal you use in synth = +1
Success direction = +0.5 (see pic posted by Teku above)

Darksday or day strong to crystal you use in synth = -1
HQ direction = -0.5

Moon: Full moon 100% = +1, New moon 0% = -1
Any moon below 50% gives negative skill relative to the perentage between 50% and 0%. (ie. a 25% moon would give -0.5). Opposite for above 50%.
A clean 50% moon is neutral.

Now, for skillups, I find it best when you combine all of this info to get you around 3 skill lvls from the skill cap of the synth. So lets say your skill is 10, and you're doing a lvl 16 recipie. With adv. support you're now at 13, a good number.
If youre less then 2 lvls from cap, it normally gives very slow skill from what I've seen.
Any more then 4-5 away from cap will result in a lot of breaks.

Teku

Post by Teku » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Additionally, pay attention as to whether or not what you're making can be de-synthesized. If it can, you can often save money by investing in lightning crystals to break it down again into raw materials and recycling them, also while gaining skill points. I personally do not attempt this until I'm within 4-5 levels from cap, even with support, due to the high failure rate of lightning synths.