In recent news....

Anything FFXI Related
Indelacio

In recent news....

Post by Indelacio » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 pm

New article published today discussing the migration of players to classic FFXI servers. Primarily mentions Nasomi server mostly because it is one of the older private servers.
https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xis-pu ... 807418/amp

StardewValley

Re: In recent news....

Post by StardewValley » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 am

When I asked why Nasomi craved the brutality of FFXI, he cited one particular dungeon crawl. It was impossible to accomplish alone and FFXI didn’t have a great party-matching system in the early 2000s, so after hearing somebody loudly soliciting damage-dealers for that same dungeon-crawl in a city, he offered his services. The three-floor crawl lasted hours.

“There was no map at all,” he said. “The monsters on the upper levels were unfightable. If you tried, you died. It was dangerous, difficult and everyone had to work together or we had no chance.”
What "dungeon" is he referring to from era?
Stardew - WAR57 | THF27 | NIN14 | SAM12
Valley - BLM56 | WHM25 | RDM12 | NIN11
Cooking 52 | Woodworking 24 | Goldsmithing 8
(12/27/17)

Jimmayus

Post by Jimmayus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am

Pretty sure he's referring to promyvions

Tele

Post by Tele » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 am

Agree. That sounds like the Promys. Those things were exceptionally hard.

Mercer.Keel

Post by Mercer.Keel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Why in every time legacy is brought up is there always so many haters in the comments that want to bash the legacy idea and keep trying to keep us down. Its not like we are asking for easy mode ffxi servers to all go away and only have a legacy server.

Servo

Post by Servo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Mercer.Keel wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Why in every time legacy is brought up is there always so many haters in the comments that want to bash the legacy idea and keep trying to keep us down. Its not like we are asking for easy mode ffxi servers to all go away and only have a legacy server.
I like the one comment I saw about someone complaining about having to kill dozens of small crabs for 6 hours to level up once. That's like saying, "Mario is lame, all you do is jump over pitfalls for hours."

WoW-style games change up camping with running around doing boring fetch quests. Personally, I'd rather just turn on some good tunes, open up a bottle of beer, and socialize with my fellow FFXI-fans than run around like a headless chicken following question marks on the map. I've always found exp camping rather relaxing, it was very hard for me to play FFXIV, and at times I started to just ignore all of the meaningless quest stories as there were so many, it was overwhelming.

People just love to hate on FFXI. At least we feel a true sense of pride and accomplishment, and I'm not talking about EA's Lootboxes ;)
Servo: 61 RDM | 58 WHM | 55 BST | 37 BLM
Angelic: 65 PLD | 37 WAR
11/28/2017

Hin

Post by Hin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Servo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm
I like the one comment I saw about someone complaining about having to kill dozens of small crabs for 6 hours to level up once. That's like saying, "Mario is lame, all you do is jump over pitfalls for hours."

WoW-style games change up camping with running around doing boring fetch quests. Personally, I'd rather just turn on some good tunes, open up a bottle of beer, and socialize with my fellow FFXI-fans than run around like a headless chicken following question marks on the map. I've always found exp camping rather relaxing, it was very hard for me to play FFXIV, and at times I started to just ignore all of the meaningless quest stories as there were so many, it was overwhelming.

People just love to hate on FFXI. At least we feel a true sense of pride and accomplishment, and I'm not talking about EA's Lootboxes ;)
People nowadays just want things handed to them. EA could make lootboxes in their games a rare (1-2%) drop from X activity and people would still complain despite them being free because they have to spend time farming them.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Seems like good press for Kupo. People will roll on Nasomi, see that it's a glitchy dumpster fire, and jump ship to here. Nice!
Previously Gweivyth @ Nasomi.

atom0s

Post by atom0s » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm

People still even read Kotaku lol?
  • Ashita Lead Developer

Mercer.Keel

Post by Mercer.Keel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm

atom0s wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm
People still even read Kotaku lol?
Only when the random few that do link it to reddit.