New - questions/concerns

New To The Server?
Hin

New - questions/concerns

Post by Hin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi guys. Stumbled across your server from Reddit and mostly everyone agrees it's the best one if you're looking for the level 75 experience. One thread on Reddit raised some issues I was curious about

Is endgame on here really run by two groups that just alternate with each other to avoid competition? And are said linkshells big enough that they have significant sway over "public opinion" if you will? If a hypothetical third linkshell tries to emerge, will anything be done if griefing occurs?

I realize this probably isn't the best place to ask this as people aren't likely to be candid with their responses. I thank anyone who cares to give their input.

Treble

Re: New - questions/concerns

Post by Treble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm

As an officer in one of those two LSes, let me shed a little light.

Months ago (April) when these NMs were introduced, both shells were fine with competing and did so on a daily basis until a relatively nasty claim-shield was applied to the NMs in question on spawn. The shield completely locks out anyone with better than 56K internet or a cardboard computer for 1-2 seconds and makes who gets said NM basically just up in the air. There's no skill or art to claiming, just luck and people on both sides got disheartened by this.

There have been several incidents (generally, rogue players) that have forced both shells over the past few months to periodically zerg camp (camp with an alliance of 18 people or more) to wash out these 1-2 individual's chances of claiming on said week, and we both will do it while forced.

We don't mind camping, it's just stupid to under the current circumstances.

It should also be noted that sky is on the horizon and both shells are mostly at cap for anything except King Arthro, Fafnir, and King Vinegarroon and at least as far as Spoondaggers go (one of the two LSes), we will be shifting our focus.

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 pm

What kind of griefing are you worried about? We will punish players for going out of their way to make the game unenjoyable for large groups of players (6+ people typically). If two players want to grief each other and it's not out of control ... meh.

We hope there will be many big LS' on this server ^^

Hin

Post by Hin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Icon wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 pm
What kind of griefing are you worried about? We will punish players for going out of their way to make the game unenjoyable for large groups of players (6+ people typically). If two players want to grief each other and it's not out of control ... meh.

We hope there will be many big LS' on this server ^^
Mostly mpk tactics... Large linkshells threatening to flex their muscles and bring all their members to outcamp smaller shells on things like diorite... those are the two biggest things I ever dealt with playing this game.

Treble

Post by Treble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Both shells have a standing non-MPK agreement. It would be you that chose to break that and I can guarantee you that both sides would retaliate.

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

If a player or group of players was MPKing your party/alliance without your consent/retaliation then they would be jailed for a few hours. We try to deal with player issues on a case by case basis so it's hard to say the exact punishment. It is a bit of a gray area but rest assured if someone is ruining your enjoyment of the game we will work with you to sort it out. PMing on the forums or IRC (if you're patient enough to wait for a reply) both work for reaching us.

nik

Post by nik » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Hin wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 pm
Is endgame on here really run by two groups that just alternate with each other to avoid competition? And are said linkshells big enough that they have significant sway over "public opinion" if you will? If a hypothetical third linkshell tries to emerge, will anything be done if griefing occurs?
Currently there's hardly enough people to support more than two endgame linkshells. In SD we very rarely run events (Fafnir/KV in particular) with an full alliance because there's just not enough people in our ranks to do that, nor has it been necessary after said fights were tuned to retail quality.

I understand your concern but as it stands it's just benifical to both SD and SBB to trade NMs because it'll end up with happy members who get loot while no one is burned out from camping, bashing their heads against a wall. With that said if another linkshell emerges we will (most likely) camp against them but that can hardly be called griefing. It's just how the game works. I'm no leader but I can only assume once the server reaches a certain population trading NMs won't even be possible anymore and I for one support new linkshells to emerge. I think it's necessary for a healthy FFXI community and I know others in both SD and SBB agree with me.

Awhile back, let's say before the summer I would say most, if not all, players above a certain level ended up in either SBB or SD and while I'm not entirely sure how SBB run their recruitment neither of the two linkshells are entirely open to just about anyone anymore. People aren't "forced" to join the two anymore which I assume this person posting on reddit was refering to.

I think all of this was a pretty natural progression on how endgame content will be dealt with by the people able to kill these NMs. As the server grows so will the endgame scene while things will change with it.

Dante

Post by Dante » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a whole ton of endgame to do currently, right? If there's limited endgame, it stands to reason that there will be a lot of competition surrounding the limited endgame. As they developers add more endgame activities, the competition should be spread out a little more and it should create a little more air around endgame

Treble

Post by Treble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Dante wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a whole ton of endgame to do currently, right? If there's limited endgame, it stands to reason that there will be a lot of competition surrounding the limited endgame. As they developers add more endgame activities, the competition should be spread out a little more and it should create a little more air around endgame
This was the case in the beginning (pre-claim shield) and the trade agreement was just how the two endgame LSes at the time chose to handle things.

Now, most of us have the gear and are eager to move on.

Things will likely change in one way or another once we're all in sky but most of the leads in the two shells that I've spoken with are at least interested in scheduling events up there opposite one another so that, excluding personal farm by small groups, we aren't in direct contention with one another. I see this as more of a respect thing at this point as we've been working together for several months already and it's just courtesy.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

I think the deeper question you want answered is 'if a third LS starts endgame are they going to have an unfair disadvantage?' The answer, IMO, is not really. I, and several others I've talked to--including leaders in both shells--are excited at the thought of a third LS. We think it'll really help the server progress.

The "rogue" campers Treble mentioned gathering people to camp against, if I'm thinking about the same situations she is, were people that were kicked or disgruntled from SBB/SD and were camping against the LS that they were formerly with--not new people to endgame that solely just wanted to progress.