Hopelessly Lost

New To The Server?
Jesoden

Hopelessly Lost

Post by Jesoden » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 am

Hey all, I've been interested in FFXI for awhile and finally got around to it on this server of yours. However, despite a good amount of experience with MMO's the control scheme has me completely confused and I can't find a tutorial or explanation for anything anywhere. Things I'm talking about are basic things I just can't find the key/menu to access them. How do I view my character sheet? Or my inventory? How can I bring up an options menu with keybindings so I can read out/change the controls?

Also things in the general UI are a mystery to me as well as far as what number is representing what.

Not necessarily lookin for answers to all this stuff from somebody on here as much as a guide for newbies on how to interface with the game's features. Google searching hasn't been successful as all tutorial videos I see people are doing things like bringing up map screens during their explanation of other things while I'm sitting here with no idea how to even access a map screen.

I started off in Bastok and was able to walk around and talk to some people and learn about trading items for quests from an npc, fought some low lv monsters to try to learn about combat but didn't get much info. The only menu I was able to bring up through trial and error was a small one that seemed to be for interacting with targets and chat.

Thanks for your time, eager to get started I just can't seem to get off of the ground and some kind of guide/ tutorial would help.

Aldorat

Re: Hopelessly Lost

Post by Aldorat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 am

http://www.playonline.com/ff11newplayer ... /list.html

You can find some of the keybindings here. Typically you can open the main menu with [-] key on Numpad for example. From there you have access to all menu points.

There are also shortcuts for the most important menus:
Press Alt or Ctrl and then:
e for equipment
i for inventory
m for magic abilities
j for job abilities
w for weapon skills

You can also bind Macros to Alt or Ctrl + "Number" in the Macro Section of the Main Menu. You will find some examples of the syntax in this link. You can do everything from Abilities to Gear Swaps to simple Chat.
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Macro

I hope this will get you started!

Aldorat

Post by Aldorat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

Oh and one more thing. If you want to enlarge the chat log or just check what the status effects are at the top of the screen mean:

Hit F or +(Numpad) to cycle through Chat Log or the Status Bar. In the Status bar you can then navigate with the arrow keys and even cancel some of the buffs by hitting Enter on them. If you highlight the chat log and hit enter, you will enlarge it and be able to filter the log by hitting F or + again.

Jesoden

Post by Jesoden » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Ah I see my difficulty makes more sense considering I don't have a Number Pad on my keyboard (on a laptop). Thanks very much for the info. I suppose I should go looking for a way to work around that, or just look around for an old keyboard to plug in.

Kim

Post by Kim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:55 am

Just keep in mind, that for all intents and purposes, FFXI is a purely menu-driven game, not really a mouse-driven game.

Not that I play many games, but I do play one other (whose name shall not be mentioned) and it's completely mouse-driven.

See you in game.. (tomorrow)

Havesh

Post by Havesh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

You can almost entirely play the game using the numpad.

0 tab targets
5 switches between first person and 3rd person camera (a really good way to reset the camera behind you is to tab this button twice)
Pressing 7 whilst moving forward enables autorun
/ toggles run/walk
* is lock on target or heal if you have no target selected
+ selects the chat, and pressing + again enables you to select buffs and debuffs you have on you
- opens the menu (you have to use escape to get out of the menu again, though) and pressing - again switches to page 2 on the menu.

The arrow keys (not on the numpad) controls the camera, and moves you up and down in the menus.

Pressing enter is confirm as well as opening contextual menus depending on your state and the selected target.
Last edited by Havesh on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beauxq

Post by beauxq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Back in the day, I bought a USB number pad for my laptop that didn't have a number pad.

It can be done without number pad with some settings in configuration (that I don't know how to get to without a number pad).