Dualboxing with a Controller

Helpdesk for FFXI issues
Wildstar

Dualboxing with a Controller

Post by Wildstar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Just as the title suggests, I am trying to dualbox with an Xbox 360 controller. Back in the day when I played FFXI on the official servers, I was able to use an outside program (Xpadder) to bind "Alt" and "Tab" to my left and right triggers respectively. It functions perfect outside of the game, however whenever FFXI is the active window, the triggers cease to function at all. The triggers are not set to any in game function via the FFXI Controller Configuration. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :D

Operating System: Windows 7
Operating System Architecture (32/64bit): 64bit
Problem Program: FFXI / Ashita

Icon

Re: Dualboxing with a Controller

Post by Icon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm

I personally don't have experience with controllers but from what I understand most using a controller with ashita are using Switchmon to switch between windows. May be an alternative.

Wildstar

Post by Wildstar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I've downloaded Switchmon and tried messing around with it, but I can't get it to detect my FFXI windows. I've tried launching FFXI first, then detecting my windows, and tried launching Switchmon, then FFXI, then detecting with no success. I'll try asking around in linkshell later today.

Cadant

Post by Cadant » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:53 pm

I struggled with this exact problem this weekend... First I couldn't get a ps3/4 controller to work so I just said F it and went and bought an xbox controller... While the controller worked just by plugging it in, I never did get switchmon working with the xbox controller. I got pissed and eventually got my ps4 controller to work.

Go into properties and try messing with compatibility modes and check run as administrator. Mine would not detect any characters unless I had it running in W7 compatibility mode.

Wildstar

Post by Wildstar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:46 pm

When I set mine up I forgot to check the box to run as administrator. This solved the problem for me. Thanks!

atom0s

Post by atom0s » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:21 am

Ashita only hooks onto and monitors DirectInput based devices/controllers just as a heads up for those using Ashita. It will not handle blocking or anything of multiple windows by default if you are using XInput devices such as Xbox controllers.

Also for those having issues getting Xbox controllers to work at all with FFXI, be sure that you have enabled XInput mode in the controller options of FFXI.

For example:
<Path To Final Fantasy Install>\FINAL FANTASY XI\Tools\ (If you are using the Japanese client.)
<Path To Final Fantasy Install>\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS\ (If you are using the English client.)
<Path To Final Fantasy Install>\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsEU\ (If you are using the European client.)

Open 'FFXiPadConfig.exe' as an administrator. Near the top-right, ensure that:
- Enable Gamepad is checked.
- Enable XInput is checked.

Do any extra setup you wish, click OK and choose 'Yes' to save the options you edited. This should allow your XInput based controller to work with FFXI.

For those using Dinput controllers with Ashita, you can use the following to handle blocking the gamepad from moving multiple characters. (Or enable it to if you want.)

Code: Select all

/gamepad [allowbackground|allowbg|bg] - Toggles the gamepad background feature.
/gamepad [allowbackground|allowbg|bg] [0|1] - Sets the gamepad background feature on or off. (0 = off, 1 = on)
/gamepad [allowbackground|allowbg|bg] [off|on] - Sets the gamepad background feature on or off.

ie.

/gamepad allowbg on
/gamepad allowbg off

• Ashita Lead Developer

cheezcake

Post by cheezcake » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I Use ffxi switch monitor. Playing on an xbox one controller. Hope it helps.