Kikai

Nvidia Gfx Game Crashes

Post by Kikai » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Using Ashita client and Kupoinstaller FFXI setup
Dualboxer*

Over past few weeks I've been getting strange crashes where my screen will go black temporarily for a few seconds and then both pol.exes will crash. My friend who also has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 has the same issues, which leads us to believe it is a graphics card issue somehow. We've tried turning off all weather and shadows as well as the "Graphics Stabilization" mode in FFXIconfig.exe, but get these crashes at least once/day, and usually in the same "spots" or zones.

Any help or insight on how we can fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Icon

Re: Nvidia Gfx Game Crashes

Post by Icon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Does your whole monitor go black or just the FFXI game window? I'm not as familiar with graphics issues as atom0s is but I would try the latest GPU driver. If you have the latest driver you might research to figure out what the preferred driver for your GPU is in case the most current is buggy. With FFXI being such an old game it doesn't run very well on many newer setups.

If drivers don't resolve the issue you might try atom0s' GPU API fix:
http://kupoffxi.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=629

If you're lucky atom0s may chime in ;)

atom0s

Post by atom0s » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 pm

This sounds like your graphics card driver is crashing. Do you notice any popups after the blackout from Nvidia saying the driver has recovered or something similar?

Best bet would be double check and make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. If you are on a laptop, keep in mind that some manufacturers prevent you from using the latest drivers from Nvidia directly and instead require you to use the drivers they alter and distribute on their own sites. (Lenovo is a huge offender of this.)

Some other things to check:
- Make sure your graphics card is not overheating.
- Make sure your graphics card is properly cooling. (Fan is spinning, water block is not clogged if you water cool, etc.)
- Make sure your graphics card is properly seated.
- Make sure your system is not out-powering your power supply and causing your graphics card to lose voltage at random.

FFXI is not designed to handle a device reset call on graphics. Instead, their anti-windowing code is still in place to cause the game to crash to PlayOnline. Over the years since removing the anti-windowing policy and adding their own windowing method, they never went back and recoded the game to properly handle device resets. Other things that cause your graphics device to reset can cause you to crash as well, such as:
- Launching another game in fullscreen mode.
- Allowing Windows UAC to popup confirming an action.
- Hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE and seeing the Lock/Switch User/Sign Out etc. screen.
- Some/certain screensavers or monitor anti-burn-in methods/apps/etc.
- Altering your current screen resolution etc.

Double check and make sure none of these are happening as well.
  • Ashita Lead Developer

Kikai

Post by Kikai » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention that I'm on a desktop, not a laptop.

@Icon, both my monitors go black for ~5 seconds and then recover.

@atom0s, there are no pop-ups after the crash. I'm using NVIDIA's "GeForce Experience", which supposedly keeps all drivers up-to-date, all the time and just double checked and it still says all drivers are up to date.

I've been running Speccy as I play to monitor temperature and haven't had any issues that you listed. My friend has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and has been having the exact same crashes as me, so I highly doubt it's not properly seated, voltage or any of those either.

What exactly does the GPU API fix linked do, is it for laptops only?

Cadant

Post by Cadant » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 am

Kikai wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 am
Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention that I'm on a desktop, not a laptop.

@Icon, both my monitors go black for ~5 seconds and then recover.

@atom0s, there are no pop-ups after the crash. I'm using NVIDIA's "GeForce Experience", which supposedly keeps all drivers up-to-date, all the time and just double checked and it still says all drivers are up to date.

I've been running Speccy as I play to monitor temperature and haven't had any issues that you listed. My friend has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and has been having the exact same crashes as me, so I highly doubt it's not properly seated, voltage or any of those either.

What exactly does the GPU API fix linked do, is it for laptops only?
Mine does the same thing. Same card.

Daeoc

Post by Daeoc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 am

Icon wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Does your whole monitor go black or just the FFXI game window? I'm not as familiar with graphics issues as atom0s is but I would try the latest GPU driver. If you have the latest driver you might research to figure out what the preferred driver for your GPU is in case the most current is buggy. With FFXI being such an old game it doesn't run very well on many newer setups.

If drivers don't resolve the issue you might try atom0s' GPU API fix:
http://kupoffxi.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=629

If you're lucky atom0s may chime in ;)
After updating Windows 10(the Fall Creators Update) and updating to AMD's Fall Creators Driver(Desktop, FX-8350 and RX 480) I was getting this. When I loaded into the game all the models(other people, NPCs, mobs) were there but then they would disappear, along with every effect. For some reason, shields and a couple shoulder would still pop up, but that was it, I was using the shadows in place of the models to play the game. Just tried out atom0s' D3D9 proxy and it fixed this issue, thanks.

Cadant

Post by Cadant » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok, so it's done it to me 3 times now in Under Observation bcnm40... I think this is the only place it's actually happened, every other time its the game crashing, not my card having an error

jamiehavok

Post by jamiehavok » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Don't have much to add here except im still on Nvidia 382.05 drivers on my gtx 1080 which are 6 months old while the latest is is 387.92. (I tend not to update gfx drivers unless a game im playing has serious issues - if it aint broken dont fix it!) And ffxi works fine on those drivers, so maybe if the dx9 proxy doesnt fix the issue try rolling back drivers.

Cadant

Post by Cadant » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I hadn't touched drivers on the pc for like a year, idk what it was at. I updated them last night after crashing in bcnm40. Trying Atom0s' thing now. Crashed on 2/3 bcnm40 this morning

edit 2/2 no crash after doing fix... hopefully this is a trend :X
edit2 6/6 no crash. I turned off all effects as well just in case
Last edited by Cadant on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikai

Post by Kikai » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks for the info, Jamie. After downloading atom0's fix, no crashes yet but its only been a day so far - so it's a wait and see thing still. We noticed a lot of the crashes happened in dungeon areas in-game. Here's to hoping no more :)