Linux Install Guide

Come Here To Ask Questions
Grahf

Re: Linux Install Guide

Post by Grahf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Oh and I just remembered something. THIS will probably work for you. Icon requires us to use this POL.exe, http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ntyhb7aw8yislb/pol.exe

Downloaded it and replace your pol.exe with the one for this server. After you have this version of POL.exe in
/home/[NAME]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/

After that open a terminal at /home/[NAME]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/
and type
"konsole -e 'wine pol.exe --server kupo.ddns.net'"

So now we are running pol.exe directly and not using xiloader. That's what I had to do when Icon required us to use his POL.exe.

zoofadoofa

Post by zoofadoofa » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:58 am

Thanks for your help Icon and Grahf,

I recently switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint.
I develop software in my day job and one of my work buddies convinced me to tinker around Linux.
So I am on a bit of a learning curve, but I'm very interested in learning and contributing to the Linux community.
In which case, maybe I can help figure out a way for FFXI to work on Mint and provide a guide as well.

I will have to do a fresh install of wine and ffxi again.
which will probably be around wednesday.

Thanks again :)

zoofadoofa

Post by zoofadoofa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 am

So I got some time to take another stab at this and here is what I was able to accomplish.

following very similar steps to yours.
  1. open synaptic package manager (Mint) and install
    1. wine-stable
    2. wine-stable-amd64
    3. wine-stable-i386:i386
    4. winehq-stable
  2. Download kuposetup.rar
  3. Run 64bix Pol.exe
  4. Run ffxisetup.exe
  5. Patch FINAL FANTASY XI folder in wine with one from KupoSetup
  6. Run POL.exe and update
  7. Select Existing User
  8. Check Files, Select Final Fantasy XI, had no repair. (read the link you sent later after i got through the whole process.)
  9. Copied data folder from PlayOnlineViewer to FINAL FANTASY XI
  10. Download imm32.dll.so
  11. Replaced imm32.dll.so in /opt/wine-stable/lib/wine/
  12. Download POL.exe for Kupo FFXI
  13. moved to PlayOnlineViewer
  14. Ran POL.exe, loaded up but failed to connect to the server.
  15. Read the link about repair, Deleted ROM/0/0.DAT
  16. Ran old POL.exe for the Check Files
  17. Repaired then got a POL-1153 error, I can see I have a missing DAT file ROM/535/73.DAT and I am stuck on that
Firewall is turned off, no AV running, deleted that patch.ver in FINAL FANTASY XI, even tried creating a copy of one of the other DAT files and making it 73.
But I think I will have to run an install of FFXI on another computer and see if I can get a copy of the DAT files that are missing.

On a side note,
I ran without mono or .Net.
and no gecko all that seemed fine.

zoofadoofa

Post by zoofadoofa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 am

Performed an install on a windows 10 machine and tried to copy the DATs over but that ended up busting POL after checking files, now its just a black window when POL launches, so I am going to scrap this on and attempt to go through the installation steps again

Grahf

Post by Grahf » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:14 am

I think you need to do step 8 to repair files and get them fixed before you move onto the other steps.

zoofadoofa

Post by zoofadoofa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:06 am

Step 8 always failed because of some POL-1153 or something. So as a last attempt I tried to copy successfully repaired files from another computer but it just broke POL after that so. I am going to fresh install and when I get to step 8 we will see if it succeeds with the repair this time.

Zuri

Post by Zuri » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 am

Icon wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm
I would highly suggest installing a Windows 7 64bit VM and using our setup package on that.
Do you have any recommendations for a particular VM? I've heard good things about VMware Player for gaming, but I wonder if VirtualBox is sufficient for ffxi.

Icon

Post by Icon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Not sure about which VMs will support FFXI but FFXI is not a very system resource intense game... probably have to research