Linux Install Guide

Helpdesk for FFXI issues
Grahf

Linux Install Guide

Post by Grahf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

If anyone is interested in installing FFXI on linux see below for how I got it to work.

It took me a looong time to get FFXI working on Linux. In the end I got it working by NOT doing what the majority of the three different guides I found instructed. They are needlessly complicated. SO I'm going to outline what I did to get FFXI running on my Manjaro Linux KDE set up. Installing it is really easy actually. Of course, each system is different and this may or may not work for yours.

1. Install the latest version of Wine. I'm using 2.1-1. DONT use PlanOnLinux or Winetricks.
2. Download kupsetup.rar at http://www.mediafire.com/file/1xft86bp4 ... tupOLD.rar
3. Run 64bit POL.exe
4. Open ffxisetup.exe and install FFXI and all of the expansions. Don't install POL. The program may freeze after it installs each expansion. If that happens, just close it and relaunch ffxisetup.exe. The program should indicate the previous expansion you installed is installed and prompt you to install the remaining expansions.
5. Open the update files folder, and select all the files and copy them
6. Paste all of those files into /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XI/ and overwrite all of the duplicates
5. Run POL.exe. It should be on your menu or located at /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/
6. POL will prompt you to update POL. Do it.
7. After POL updates and restarts select existing user. Use ABCD1234, or whatever, as your POL ID and make up a username.
8. On the left side click "Check Files" and CHANGE THE DROPDOWN to read FINAL FANTASY XI.
9. Click "Check Now", this process can take 10-60 minutes. Eventually it will come up with "Repair". Select that. This can take a few hours.
10. Copy the "data" folder located at /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/
11. Paste the data folder into /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XI/
12. Download imm32.dll.so file at: https://github.com/bluffnix/ffxi-wine/b ... m32.dll.so
13. Move imm32.dll.so to /usr/lib32/wine/. Overwrite the file that's already there.
14. Download xiloader at http://www.mediafire.com/file/pu5mjkuu2 ... loader.exe
15. Move xiloader to /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/ (may not be necessary but it's where I like to keep it)
16. Open a terminal at /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer/ and type "konsole -e 'wine xiloader.exe --server kupo.ddns.net'"
16. You should be prompted for a login.

Good luck! Let me know if I missed anything. If you need help creating a desktop icon that runs the terminal command let me know.

The other guides that didn't work for me are at:
https://forums.dspt.info/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=linux
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2739
Last edited by Grahf on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Icon

Re: Linux Install Guide

Post by Icon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 am

Hi Grahf,

Thanks for posting this guide! I'm sure our Linux users will find it helpful! I do have one request: please update your post to use our file download link. We do not maintain other FFXI private server download links and cannot vouch for their safety/version. So for step 2 please change to:

https://kupoffxi.com/install/
DL link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1xft86bp4 ... tupOLD.rar

Our link includes all FFXI install files. We also include patch files but in a larger bundle. If you only want the smaller patch it can be downloaded from: http://www.dspt.info/FFXI-UpdatePatch.zip

Grahf

Post by Grahf » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 am

Sorry about that Icon. I updated step 2.

Icon

Post by Icon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks ^^

Guedj

Post by Guedj » Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Would this run on a raspberry pi? Could be a fun little travel system. :)

ZarosTenjin

Post by ZarosTenjin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

Guedj wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm
Would this run on a raspberry pi? Could be a fun little travel system. :)
the pi is severely lacking in graphic prowess. plus the pi has a different cpu architecture. i would say no its not possible. there are some more expensive options out there with a intel based cpus that might be capabale enough but honestly theres a different travel ready system called laptop that usually fills out that role just fine for me ;)
IGN: Resra

Guedj

Post by Guedj » Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm

I've honestly never owned a laptop that I thought was worth its cost, from $300 ones to a $3000 one. I'm done trying, lol. I did grab a tablet to run xi but the SD slot isn't working right, so I've got to look into that. Mostly I don't travel enough to actually need one. Just thought it would be neat. :)

zoofadoofa

Post by zoofadoofa » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:28 am

ran through this guide twice
thanks for putting this together.

System:
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Wine-stable 2.0.1

Symptom:
I am unable to get to login for xiloader. This is the errors that it reports
running from 'konsole'

Code: Select all

wine xiloader.exe --server kupo.ddns.net
wine: Call from 0x7b44f037 to unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc called at address 0x7b44f037 (thread 001b), starting debugger...
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\xiloader.exe"
Additional notes:
I ran into some oddities that were different than the guide.

Step 4.
Upon running ffxisetup.exe it asked me to install .Net 3.5, I clicked yes.
Install succeeded, recieved crash reports after each expansion, did not seem to affect the install though.

Step 5.
in .rar file its Patch folder instead of Update folder

Step 8.
Ran 'Check Files' for FINAL FANTASY XI. Did not prompt to repair. files were fine for better or worse.

Step 13.
when trying to move imm32.dll.so /usr/lib32/wine is a file, not a folder.

Step 16.
Running "konsole -e 'wine xiloader.exe --server kupo.ddns.net'" closes the konsole after brief moment, so I opted to run konsole from Menu instead.

Also trying to troubleshoot I went ahead and installed wine-mono and wine-gecko through Synaptic Package Manager

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in no rush, but I am missing out on the lovely community.

Icon

Post by Icon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm

I would highly suggest installing a Windows 7 64bit VM and using our setup package on that.

Grahf

Post by Grahf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Goodluck with Mint. I've never heard of anyone getting FFXI running on anything based on Debian. Like Icon said, if you install a VM you'll probably have an easier time. But maybe we can get lucky.

4. I would not install .Net. If you need to, use your package manager to install Wine Mono instead of .Net. DONT install Mono AND .Net. I run Manjaro on my desktop and don't use .net or Wine Mono. I run Chakra on my laptop and had to install Wine Mono.

8. Pretty sure you have to get POL to repair your files to update them. See https://forums.dspt.info/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2469

13. You need to find out where imm32.dll.so is. Just do a file search and replace the file.

and I just saw that you installed gecko and mono. If you can run POL that's a good indication.
zoofadoofa wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:28 am
ran through this guide twice
thanks for putting this together.

System:
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Wine-stable 2.0.1

Symptom:
I am unable to get to login for xiloader. This is the errors that it reports
running from 'konsole'

Code: Select all

wine xiloader.exe --server kupo.ddns.net
wine: Call from 0x7b44f037 to unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc called at address 0x7b44f037 (thread 001b), starting debugger...
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\xiloader.exe"
Additional notes:
I ran into some oddities that were different than the guide.

Step 4.
Upon running ffxisetup.exe it asked me to install .Net 3.5, I clicked yes.
Install succeeded, recieved crash reports after each expansion, did not seem to affect the install though.

Step 5.
in .rar file its Patch folder instead of Update folder

Step 8.
Ran 'Check Files' for FINAL FANTASY XI. Did not prompt to repair. files were fine for better or worse.

Step 13.
when trying to move imm32.dll.so /usr/lib32/wine is a file, not a folder.

Step 16.
Running "konsole -e 'wine xiloader.exe --server kupo.ddns.net'" closes the konsole after brief moment, so I opted to run konsole from Menu instead.

Also trying to troubleshoot I went ahead and installed wine-mono and wine-gecko through Synaptic Package Manager

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in no rush, but I am missing out on the lovely community.