Character still logged into game.

Helpdesk for FFXI issues
Bisu

Character still logged into game.

Post by Bisu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 am

Went to zone into zeruhn mines and my game crashed. Waited 20 mins and tried to log in and it would keep downloading data, It's been almost an hour now and apparently my character is still logged in according to server status. :(

Icon

Re: Character still logged into game.

Post by Icon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 pm

After waiting 2 minutes you can try logging in again. The only way you won't be able to login is if the character is actually still online. This condition is possible but sometimes there is an error removing a character from the online list after it is removed from the server.

Lilswitche

Post by Lilswitche » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Icon wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 pm
...but sometimes there is an error removing a character from the online list after it is removed from the server.
I want to say this has just happened to me on Lilswitche. He remained logged in for a good 10 minutes; I then logged on Bigswitche hoping it would correct the problem, but now I'm unable to log in with either character.

Aneyus

Post by Aneyus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Same issue currently happening to my characters Aneyus & Chawlee. Zoned from Bastok Mines to South Gustaberg and got stuck at "Downloading data..." with a black screen, unable to successfully log back in with either character for about 10 minutes. After getting back in, I (foolishly) zoned back into Bastok and back out to Gustaberg again only to be met with the same fate.

When trying to log back in, I get stuck at the same "downloading data..." black screen.

Additionally, I've noticed that every time a login is going to fail in this manner, the game briefly hangs up at the "setting up playonline active content" and longer at the "notifying lobby server of current selections" load bar flavor texts whereas normally they're pretty much instant.

Edit: After about 20 minutes from the second occurrence I was able to login again, only to immediately be met with R0s on both characters. While R0ing, I tried to zone back into Bastok. Aneyus made it somewhat successfully (after a couple of reconnect attempts) and then logged out normally while Chawlee got stuck in another black screen without the Downloading Data text this time.

Hopefully something here is useful in diagnosing the problem. Thanks for your hard work and dedication, devs!
Last edited by Aneyus on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilswitche

Post by Lilswitche » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Aneyus wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm
Additionally, I've noticed that every time a login is going to fail in this manner, the game briefly hangs up at the "setting up playonline active content" and longer at the "notifying lobby server of current selections" load bar flavor texts whereas normally they're pretty much instant.
I noticed the same. When I was able to log back on to Lilswitche, I did the same zone 'Bastok Mines' to "South Gustaberg' and got black screened. Waiting now to get back in.

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm

We have been collecting debug information on the issue and are working on a solution as fast as we can. This issue in particular has been difficult to capture debug on because it has been very sporadic. The issue should be cleared up for the time being. If you're still having issues logging in we can clear your session so you're able to log back in. If the issue continues we'll restart the server so players can continue to enjoy the game.

Lilswitche

Post by Lilswitche » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm

I got back in, but I think SGusta as a zone is just shitting the bed today. I was able to spend about 3-4 mins logged in, then R0 and kicked off. I noticed multiple people in the zone but were not actually able to receive tells.

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Okay we will restart the server since we do not have time to further debug at the moment.

Kim

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Server is holding character data.

It it not releasing it on d/c. This is why you can't log in after a period of time, the server needs to release your character.

I've been stuck at the DL screen on my main for over an hour now, just trying to warp in from moogle.
Server is not releasing my character, and online server status shows I'm still logged in Bastok Mines.

Waiting 20 mins doesn't do anything; this has been going on for over an hour now.

xcom

Post by xcom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Same issue here. Multiple friends unable to log in. Error code posted in IRC.

Error code: FFXI-3305 Unable to connect to world server. specified operation failed.