Vertical aoe

Found A Bug?
Scott

Vertical aoe

Post by Scott » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 pm

A major game mechanic in retail was using a vertical offset to avoid aoes. We did it with Tiamat and Ixion and several others. You can be right next to the mob but if you're on a hill you won't get hit. I think the offset would be maybe 5 yalms or more? I'm not 100% sure.

Serket, for example, you can get hit upstairs with ape. This shouldn't happen. Another example regarding Serket is if your mages dropped down on top of those small mountains and the tanks pulled Serket right next to the mountain... The horizontal offset could be only 1 yalm away but since there is a high enough vertical offset absolutely no aoes would hit the mages on top.

Elysien

Re: Vertical aoe

Post by Elysien » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 am

Although this was certainly era, it was changed quite late into the game when SE finally realized such a tremendous design flaw. I wouldn't mind too much if this was added, seems silly to replicate SE's major flaws, though.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm

I never remember it being changed. Was it in Adoulin? Most certainly there should be some vertical offset where aoes won't hit you though because being upstairs in Garliage doesn't make sense to get hit to me.

Elysien

Post by Elysien » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Not as far as Adoulin, but pretty damn well late. It was a few months before Abyssea, I remember it vividlyl because my linkshells strategies to Tiamat and Khimaira had to revamped because terrain differences relative to the monster no longer allowed players to avoid Tebbad Wing, or Fulmination.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:14 am

I see. I’ve been searching for it but can’t find anything about it on BG or SE post.

Regardless, it comes down to if the dev team wants more of an era playing style or hybrid-era playing style. I like the idea of the game being harder than retail in some ways but I also want to enjoy the play style I was used to in 2005.

In the mean time (if possible) I’d like to know the devs stance on how and/or if this would be patched in the future.