Beastmaster as Subjob

Bugs that have been fixed.
spookit

Beastmaster as Subjob

Post by spookit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 am

Beastmaster Charm as a subjob incorrectly has effectiveness of the subjob level, where it should calculate at your main job level if your actual bst level is higher or equal to your main. I spoke to Icon briefly about this and it was a change purposely done on the basis of it being changed to this out of era. However, it always functioned like this, at least zilart NA release onward. Not many people played beastmaster at that time, and as a result a lot of misinformation and myths. I've spent some time finding records of people soloing on jobs /bst (which couldn't be done with the current calculations) from as early as possible.

Currently the Charm chance and charm duration are incorrect.

On the charm talk page on ffxiclopedia (also stated on main page)
Using Charm when BST is set as subjob is affected by your real BST level, not your BST level as a sub.

After reading about people claiming it is true, and people claiming it is false, we decided to test it by ourselves.

A friend and I went to Eastern Altepa Desert as WHM38/BST19 both as Tarutaru and with no equipment at all, so we had exactly the same stats, the only difference was that her BST was level 35 and mine level 74.

Then we start spamming Gauge to some charmeable mobs in the area, Spiders, Beetles and Dhalmels and we found what for us is the prof of the above statement.

Most Even Match and Decent Challenge gave me the message "PLAYER should be able to charm the MOB" while the same monsters gave my friend the message "PLAYER might be able to charm the MOB".

A tough mob was "PLAYER might be able to charm the MOB" for me, and "It would be difficult for PLAYER to charm the MOB" for her.

And that's it. Oviorus 18:51, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
An LS member linked this post from Allakhazam about exp rings but it mentions exping thf/bst to test out the rings as early as oct 2005.

I've combed through allakhazam's beastmaster forums (being one of the few remaining forums with all the old posts still up) and the debate begins very early on but as time progresses forward (still early and in era) the posts begin to reach the consensus that it does work off beastmaster main level.

I also found this blog that mentions soloing as a 30+ war/bst in august 2005

Scott

Re: Beastmaster as Subjob

Post by Scott » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 am

There may be a special reason for why it is not like era retail on this server. But, I can confirm that being able to charm higher level than your SJ is how it's been at least since a year after NA release.

I found the following post which was posted on 04/25/2005 to help support.
http://www.ffxionline.com/forum/ffxi-ga ... bst-subjob
It's generally believed that to calculate what level your main can charm when subbing BST, you take your main job's level, and add it to your BST level (as a main, not a sub) then divide the sum by 2.

Example:

My main = 72, my BST level = 62.

72+62= 134/2 = 67

In my case, as my RDM, with BST subbed, I should be able to charm anything up to 67 without any problems, assuming I have decent CHR gear. I can technically charm a level 72 mob as well, and it will stay charmed as long as any EM mob would normally, but since it is 5 levels higher than the recommended level, it will be more difficult to charm. It would be like a level 67 BST trying to charm a level 72 (VT mob).

On the other hand, if I only had my BST at 37, and subbed it on my RDM, even though its as high as a sub as it can get, charming a mob will still depend partially on the BST main.

72 RDM + 37 BST = 109/2 = 54

For proof of this theory, we have a handy ability called "gauge" which allows us to check how likely it is that we can charm a mob. It should reflect this pretty accurately.

Icon

Post by Icon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you for all of this information. We've reviewed it and are discussing amongst the admins what changes to make.

GoldRidley

Post by GoldRidley » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am

Any word on this? BST as a subjob is unplayable. I can't think of single application for it.

Icon

Post by Icon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm

If BST is working properly after this most recent update then we will make adjustments so it has some uses. We will have to observe and check the logs for a while to be sure.

GoldRidley

Post by GoldRidley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:36 am

Glad to hear it! I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up.